Jackson Park History
Jackson Park Timeline
Jackson Park-JPAC home
To Historic Preservation
The bridge was
reopened in May, 2003 and rededicated in September, 2003.
The bridge reconstruction and the replacement heads' sculptor, Paul Petreanu (Galloy and Van Etten) were honored with a Paul Cornell Award by Hyde Park Historical Society at its Annual Dinner, February 5, 2005.
Bridge location in plan of 1895 (center of plan) and as shown built in 1905 park plan. Note the span has moved considerably to the south, to the southwest corner of the Outer Harbor. Views courtesy of KemperLesnik Integrated Communications for CDOT and Johnson-Lasky Architects. (Last drawings are 2001 by Johnson-Lasky Architects.)
OFFICIAL STATEMENT OF HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE
The South Bridge is significant as a key structure in the design of Jackson Park. The bridge was conceived as a viewing point for vistas within the park and is an important architectural element within the pastoral composition of the park. It spans the channel between the south harbor and inner lagoon and is constructed of granite and sandstone facing over reinforced concrete. Sculptured hippopotamus heads, water deities and prows of boats adorn the sides of the bridge, reflecting the wind and water themes that were integral to Olmsted's vision of the south park system.
The bridge is a single 40 foot span in the form of an elliptical reinforced concrete arch. It is an early example of the use of the Kahn steel reinforcing system in an arched concrete bridge structure. The first patents for this system were taken out in 1902. The bridge was built to the plans of Peter J. Weber in 1903 following a competition and was built in the following year by Thomas E Hill.
The quarry, stone shop drawings, and original construction drawings, copies courtesy of KemperLesnik Integrated Communications.
Below: views of
the bridge c. 2000-2002 before dismantling. Note the utilities on the side,
which will now be enclosed. The pedestrian bridge will be replaced by sidewalks
on the bridge. The bridge will be c 20 feet north, in part for channel rationalization
(channel wall has been rebuilt) and in part to accommodate the new pedestrian
underpass to the south. The stone blocks and sculptured heads have been cleaned
of their graffiti and restored. Note the phantasm half way down? Is it Billy
Goat Gruff the troll under the bridge? Or is it the prow of a Viking ship such
as was sailed across the Atlantic to the 1893 Exposition?
Boaters wish the bridge could have been raised, but that is impossible given local topography, roadway gradient needs, and historic mandate. Source of graphics: KemperLesnik.
above left: as it looked at the rededication in September, 2003. Later with the ped underpass: in Animal Bridge Text.