Forums by Hyde Park-Kenwood Community Conference
An on-going series of community discussions (a successor to "Thinkers and Explorers") is intended to inform and gather community insight about trends and matters that will shape our community and encourage the community to develop a vision for the future of Hyde Park and Kenwood and the South Side. Prep yourself: read updates on these and other topics in the web pages throughout this website. Ask us. Visit Community News, HPKCC News
This page brought to you by Hyde Park-Kenwood Community Conference and HPKCC's website, www.hydepark.org. Join the Conference!
HPKCC program home. Committees. About HPKCC.
In our radar- Forums and other programs exploring our commmunity, its ideals and HPKCC mision as we move beyond our 60th Anniversary
Garden Fair lecture series- Tuesdays in February 2011- 2nd, 8th, 15th, 7 pm, Augustana Church, 5599 S. Woodlawn. Descriptions in Garden Fair page.
September 26, Sunday, 3 pm, Coalition for Equitable Community Development and co-sponsors hold a forum on Changes in the Property Tax Law. With State Rep. Barbara Flynn Currie and someone from the Cook County Assessor's Office. Co-sp with HPKCC Condos Committee, OWL? University Church, 5655 S. University.
Schools Networking Dinner for principals and LSC-PAC-PTA- September 29, 2010, Shoesmith School- See Schools. (The Committee holds one or two a year.)
October 28, Thursday, 6 pm. Seminar on Family Internet Safety. Cosponsored by HPKCC Safety Committee and Hyde Park Systems and others. Kenwood Academy Little Theater.
PLEASE TELL US YOUR BURNING TOPIC, from 53rd development and where the TIF is going to the direction of our schools, trends in public safety..........
- Condos Associations need to register with FHA and how to manage assessments and foreclosures. April 19, 20101Internet Safety. April 24, 2010
- Hyde Park-Challenging the Next Decade. February 18, 2009
- Handling foreclosures and other issues. Condos/Co-ops Committee. December 8, 2008
- By CECD, co-sp. HPKCC. How Will the Olympics Affect Housing in Our neighborhood? October 18, 2008
- An Evening with Eli Ungar of Antheus, MAC. May 6, 2008
- Co-sp 53rd Street Vision Workshop II. May 3, 2008
- Harper Court Future physical visioning workshops culm. in April 9-also HCt Survey prelim. results. April 9
- Harper Court Future: The RFP Process. February 26, 2008
- LSC Recognition Dinner. February 25, 2008
- Garden Fair winter lecture series 2008. Jan and Feb. Carolyn Ulrich, Anna Viertel, Shawn Kinzette, Bruce Tammen
- 3rd Street Vision Workshop. December 8, 2007
- Coalition for Equitable Community Development (affordable housing). December 5, 2007
- Condo and Co-op assocition mortgages and issues. November 6, 2007
- Discussion with Eli Ungar of Antheus Capital and MAC Properties. October 16, 2007
- Future and New Directions for the Hyde Park Neighborhood Club. October 3, 2007
- After School Matters in Hyde Park/Kenwood. March 28, 2007
- Condominium and Cooperative board and members seminar- law changes and assessments. March 12, 2007
- Garden Fair winter lecture series, Jan. and Feb. 2007
- Condominium and Cooperative board and members seminar- law changes and assessments. November 20, 2006
- The Future of the Co-op, An Independent Community Forum. October 25, 2006
- Persons with Disabilities: OUR Rights and Responsibilities. September 6, 2006
- Future of Harper Court-Workgroups April 25, 2006
- 2006 Condos and Co-ops Seminar-Part I April 24 and Part II June 5, 2006
- The Changing Nature of Our Neighborhood: Can You Afford to Stay Here? April 19, 2006
- The Future of Harper Court. April 11, 2006
- They're Our Schools-Take Responsibility. Gala honoring the Local School Councils. February 23, 2006 at Kenwood Academy
- What's Right and What's Wrong with Hyde Park and Kenwood? October 19, 2005
- Condominiums (held w. 5th Ward Office, in South Shore). Over 80. New material included for self-managing associations. April, 2005
- State of the Schools in Hyde Park and Kenwood. March 14, 2005 (Reports in Schools Committee)
- Transit workshops (4th Oct. 13, 2004) : bus routes, CTA funding crisis. 2004 (Reports in/from Transit Task Force Committee.)
- Cooperatives Governance. September 20, 2004 (Reports in Condos Committee)
- Bus Workshops, Transit Task Force. May 26, July 14, August 25, 2004 (co sp. Ald. Hairston, Preckwinkle)
- Condos and Coops 6 week course with Harper College, in Hyde Park. Spring, 2004
- Condominium Owner and Association Insurance. Winter, 2004
- Transit Concerns. Fall, 2003
- Illinois Condominium Laws and Regulations. May, 2003 and specialized follow up July 21
- We also cosponsored a forum on Affordable Housing, January, 2003
- Zoning Reform. January, 2003
- Aldermanic Elections. Three candidate forums January-February 2003
- Future of 53rd Street. Spring, 2002
- New Directions for Woodlawn. May, 2002
- Finding a Solution for Motorcycle Noise. Summer, 2001
- The Future of our South Side Parks. April, 2001
- Better Transit for Hyde Park and Kenwood. March, 2001
Past Presentation-Discussions under the Thinkers and Explorers banner organized by Meryl Dann:
Tony Bryk, Prof of Education, University of Chicago
"Progress & Problems of Chicago School Reform" 1/12/96
Hon. Abner Mikva,
Visiting Prof of Law and the Walter V. Schaefer Scholar The University of Chicago School of Law
"From here to Washington and Back Again" 4/13/96
Bishop Arthur M. Brazier, Pastor Apostolic Church of God
"Faith Based Development: Building Strong Communities" 7/24/96
"New Directions for CHA" 4/19/98
Report to Community by our elected officials (var.)
Some details on the November 15 block building exercise-- see more in 53rd TIF news page and http://www.vision53.org.
In the exercise, participants literally play with two sets of blocks that represent retail space or residential space and have spatial and economic significance. Participants use these blocks to build concepts of buildings and get immediate feed back from developers and number crunchers on the economic feasibility of the development. The exercise allows residents to gain a more realistic understanding of commercial development in their community and its relationship to the current market and residential density. The data collected from the exercise is made available to potential developers so that they plan developments with an understanding of what the community wants to see.
We are looking at sites that need to be developed along 53rd Street, a commercial corridor that is utilized by the entire Hyde Park community. U of C students are an important part of the population in Hyde Park and should have an active part in the commercial and residential development process.
Please find attached a press release announcing the event. We ask that you forward it so that students know about this opportunity. You can find more information about the process and benefits of the exercise at www.vision53.org.